Just like anything else, CBD also has its pros and cons. In general, when used responsibly as a topical or oral product, CBD is considered to be a safe substance. However, some possible side effects can be taken into account when using this substance.
Side Effects of CBD
Sickness, gastric problems, dry mouth, reduced appetite, nausea, and medicinal interactions are the most commented side effects of CBD.
There are two categories – the short and long term – for the side effects of CBD. Let's cover both in more detail.
Short Term Drawbacks
Short-term side effects occur as the CBD starts to take effect immediately. It can last from a few minutes to a couple of hours. When the CBD is wearing out, it is accompanied by side effects.
Drowsiness and sedation are some typical drawbacks of CBD. These properties can also be considered as an advantage, but CBD combined with other sedative-like drugs can be too severe and cause an adverse effect.
According to experts, some people can experience diarrhea after consuming CBD. Sometimes the CBD is not the only cause, but also the medical history of the consumers. The amount of intake can also affect the results. The high dosage is usually linked with the increased risk of diarrhea.
Also known as "cotton-mouth" is mostly caused by the side effect of CBD. THC is mostly the reason behind the dry mouth, but some evidence shows that the wrong dose, or low quality of pure CBD can also lead to dry mouth. It can be unpleasant to experience dry mouth. The best choice is always to prevent it from happening by choosing the right product and dosage. Drink more water and try to stay hydrated when facing this situation.
Interaction With Other Drugs:
Other medicines you take can interfere with CBD. We advise you to ask your physician if CBD could affect your current prescriptions.
In many cases, the consumer could suffer from nausea after they take CBD supplements. It depends on the tolerance of the person, and the intake of CBD by the person.
CBD's Long-Term Side Effects
Long-term side effects do not appear immediately. Instead, they gradually develop over time. They are usually brought about by other uses of CBD related to smoking, vaping, or mixing in with medical prescriptions. Common long-term side effects of CBD are weight change or liver issues.
Change Of Appetite:
Although CBD can help with appetite and weight loss, it might also lead to excessive weight gain or appetite change.
Some animal research has demonstrated that CBD can harm your liver and central nervous system as well. It is still unclear how CBD interacts with other medications. However, experts warn that if you are taking other prescriptions, you should not use CBD products.
Is CBD Safe For Use?
Although the WHO and other health organizations have regarded CBD as safe, it is still too early to give the all-clear without warning signs. Not enough experiments have been conducted to detect whether there are populations for which CBD is unsafe. Since safety is our first priority, we have compiled an overview of all conditions that might merit special attention.
Moderate evidence has been shown that proves that CBD can help improve psychotic symptoms in schizophrenia patients through chronic and acute administration of CBD. Moreover, the effect on Crohn's disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Dyslipidemia, and cannabis usage disorders is confirmed by large RCTs. Inadequate data on safety concerns have been presented, but most studies have reported only mild to moderate adverse reactions with chronic administration.
In 2018 a study on animals was conducted, which confirmed that CBD was a safe and efficient compound for the vast majority of patients. This study showed fatigue, diarrhea, and changes in appetite/weight as the most common side effects. Researchers have also noted that CBD is much more tolerated than other supplements for similar purposes.
Reasons Behind The Side Effects
Here are some reasons that might increase the risk of CBD side-effects:
- Smoking or vaporization can have a short side-effect due to lung inflation. It may cause cough, nausea, and soreness. It is best to use CBD orally as gummies or capsules to avoid this risk factor.
- The higher the CBD strength used, the more the impact will be stronger. It is important to understand how to find the best dosage for your body if you have never used CBD before. Start with a low dose and increase slowly over time.
- CBD may be able to interact in various ways with different medicines. Even drugs that appear entirely unrelated to CBD's effects may result in a negative interaction. If you are taking any medications, you must first talk to your doctor about using CBD.
- CBD source issues are also the cause behind some side effects. During the cultivation or production process, CBD oil can become contaminated. Therefore, we encourage consumers to order only CBD products from companies publishing independent laboratory analyzes for every product batch they produce.
- Allergies can also play a role. Any consumer concerned with an allergic reaction should test a small area topically to determine whether they will have an allergic reaction to the CBD.
In Case Of Side Effects, What Steps Should I Take?
Try cutting down the dosage if you experience any serious side effects of CBD. Do thorough research to prevent unwanted side effects before trying any CBD products Most consumers can avoid this by taking simple steps like taking CBD with food, combining other supplements such as caffeine, or reducing CBD dosage.
If you have any underlying health concerns or are taking any other medication, it is advised that you talk to your doctor before using CBD oil.
It is recommended to start CBD with a very limited dose and increase the dose bit by bit over time; this way you can determine how it interferes individually with your body.
Who should avoid CBD?
- Anyone trying to conceive a child.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers
- People taking certain medications
- People suffering from low blood pressure
- People with allergies to cannabis.
A Word From Smilz
CBD is a substance that is technically unregulated and should be used with caution in the United States. For consumers taking additional medicines, this is particularly important.
Contact us for further information about the Pros and Cons of CBD.